The Tattoo Part 4

(You can read part 3 here)

Part 4
I was staring up at the face of the person that was made for me. I couldn’t think straight. What did this mean? I was jogged from my daydream by the man next to me giving an obvious cough. I grabbed some food and sat down. I had hardly eaten in days yet just then I couldn’t eat a bite. It was like my whole life had just been flipped on it’s head. This was the guy I’d been searching for, yet I was not expecting to find him here, where my mother lay ill! After a little while of rambling thoughts I saw a shadow pass over me and I looked up. There he was.
“You mind if I sit down?” He asked. His voice was husky and only a little perkier than it had been minutes before. I shook my head and he took the seat next to me. “I’m Will, and this is a little weird isn’t it?”
“Yeah, just a little. I’m Alice. My mum is a great wonderland fan.” It was so awkward and I desperately wanted to call Jemma. I decided I needed to fill the silence. “It’s so depressing in here. How do you stand it?” That seemed to break the spell.
“I only work here once a week as a volunteer, but I agree it’s not the most uplifting of jobs.”
“Nobody comes to a hospital for fun.” I sighed. That seemed to wake him up to something as he suddenly looked really sympathetic.
“Oh my goodness, I’m so stupid, I didn’t even ask why you’re here or if you were okay!” I almost felt like laughing because he looked so apologetic.  
“My mum had a heart attack yesterday, I’m here to see her. I guess you could say I’m not my best.” It was then that a picture of my face in the mirror this morning came to mind and I almost felt repulsed by the memory. I’m suprised he was even looking at me. He was seriously out of my league. He had these gorgeous curly locks that fell perfectly on his head and his eyes were so clear it felt like I could see the whole world through them. He looked as if he was going to hug me but decided not to.
“I’m so sorry, is she okay now?” I nodded and told him that it wasn’t to severe and that she’d be able to go home soon. It fell silent for a little while but he was the first one to start again. “Maybe I should go and see her after my shift. Which room is she in?” He was so sincere it made my heart melt a little.
“Maybe I should tell her about you first.” I tell him. One of his colleagues was calling him over so we exchanged numbers and I went back to Mum’s room.
I was feeling better than I had in weeks as I sauntered down the corridors. I was so excited to tell Mum and Jemma what had happened. Part of me had thought that some of Mum’s worry was stemming from my situation so I was sure that when I told her my news she would be on the quick road to recovery. I felt like nothing could touch me now, I’d met my soulmate who seemed to be everything I’d dreamed of and now I had nothing more worrying me. I was so naive.
Sometimes life gives you those days that you’ll never forget. This was one of those days, for the above reason obviously, but also for what happened when I walked in to my mum’s hospital room feeling on top of the world.
“You’ll never guess wha...” I was stopped in my tracks by a man standing in the door.  At first I wasn’t too suprised, Mum had loads of friends and it was about time that one of them showed up, but as he turned round I felt all the energy drain from me. There, stood in front of me, was my father.
I almost ran out of the room but he grabbed my arm. I shook him off violently and pushed past him to sit next to Mum. She looked so pale and there were tear stains on her cheeks. I gave my dad the dirtiest look and watched him shrink into himself.
“I know I shouldn’t be here,” He started “but I had to come and see her. I’m still in her emergency contacts.” I just sat staring at him. Why was he here? What did he have to say, couldn’t he see he was hurting her? He was just standing there awkwardly. Luckily a nurse walked in and I had a chance to break the silence.
“How is she doing?” I asked, keeping my eye on my dad. The nurse was looking at a report and by her face I could tell it wasn’t positive. She looked a little confused actually.
“Well, she was doing very well but there has been a sudden rise in blood pressure so we made need to keep an eye on her for a while longer.” She fiddled with a few more things and then left. My dad hadn’t moved at all except to let her in and out of the room. He looked so uncomfortable.
“You don’t have to be here you know, you can just leave.” I snarled at him. He nodded, turned round and almost ran out of the room. I sighed and looked at Mum who was scowling at me.
“What?” I was genuinely confused. I thought she hated the guy.
“That was the first time I’d seen him in 18 years and you just send him away!” She still sounded slightly weak and it broke my heart.
“If it takes a heart attack for him to see you then he isn’t a good man.” I saw her physically wince. She loved him so much.
“Listen. That man is still your father and I think you should talk to him. You’ve never even had a full conversation. Then you can judge his character.” I sighed and agreed. She was still staring at me.

“What? Now?” She gave me her first smile since being admitted and I set off to find my father.

Comments

Popular Posts